As an MEP Project Manager, we understand that every day is different and poses a unique set of challenges that call for you to be at your best. Despite the unpredictable nature of the job, there are things that you can implement into your daily schedule that will over time help increase your productivity.
So, we have put together a short set of tips to ensure you shoot for the stars!
Set up a Fortnightly Meeting at site to check construction progress
- The timely handover of a project represents the most important aspect of an MEP manager’s responsibility.
- Prepare a master program schedule and prepare a critical path schedule. Once established, monitor the project control KPIs and intervene promptly in case any possibility of slippage is noticed.
- We recommend setting up fortnightly meetings at site with the relevant teams to identify any areas of concern that may hinder progress and take the necessary corrective action.
Monitor project budgets periodically
- It goes without saying that adherence to the budget set out at the start of the project represents a key component of your success.
- We recommend setting up a monthly review meeting with the concerned teams at site to ensure that procurement and spends are in line with the targets set out. Do monitor the budget and oversee performance to take any corrective action if required.
- Preparation and circulation of periodic reports on the budget status, Variation/change claims, disputes etc. will help ensure disbursement of relevant information to stakeholders.
Ensure compliance with Health and Safety Regulations
- One of the oft overlooked, but critical aspects of work at site is compliance to the health and safety aspects as mandated by the concerned governing bodies.
- We recommend thoroughly reading and understanding the general and region-specific guidelines outlined by governing bodies with regards to working at site. As the person in charge at site, the safety of personnel and equipment is your responsibility.
- We recommend speaking to experienced project managers in your organization or in the region to gain a first hand understanding of your responsibilities.
- Further, take it upon yourself to read, understand and imbibe all the specific instructions and knowledge to help ensure compliance
To conclude, enjoy the work that you do. The role played by an MEP manager is vital to the sector and society at large considering you help build homes, hospitals, schools and other institutions that serve the general public.
Work hard, stay humble and let success find you!